Thursday, November 02, 2006

Another 2,052 words today. Keeping up word count was easier in 2004, when I had no idea where I was going with the story, was perfectly willing to run off on tangents or insert descriptions just to get words out, and mostly cared about reminding myself I could still finish a novel-length manuscript that might be used as the basis for something. (Although let me tell you, I'm finding the complete-rewrite that Controlled Burn needs daunting. I told the story once. My muse thinks she's done with it, except for poking and polishing, and isn't taking kindly to the notion that parts of it...well, don't make sense because I didn't take the time to research, or in some cases even think through, whether Things Would Work That Way, while writing the first draft.)

I have plans for MMR, a shape and story arc firmly in mind, so my inner editor reminds me a lot more regularly when I'm going off on tangents. A certain amound of yesterday and today is clearly utter nonsense. But as the sign by my desk says: "You can't revise a blank page. But you can revise crap."

'Zokutou'Zokutou'Zokutou
32,356 / 80,000
(37.0%)

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Shut that inner editor up, girl, and write in your creative mode! The inner editor gets to come out and play after the draft is done. Let your subconscious note where things need to be changed/fixed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home