Saturday, December 30, 2006

Last story of 2006...

Unless I go completely nuts tomorrow, I finished and sent off the last story of 2006. This piece proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that a) I am a professional and b) I am, in fact, the reincarnation of a decadent 19th-century poet. You see, my always tricky back decided to go completely bonkers on Boxing Day, the day I was scheduled to start that story. I took my "take 'em and drool" painkillers, put on the back brace, and started the story.

Okay, so I fell asleep once and woke (when nuzzled by a cat) to find myself drooling into the keyboard. And I discovered a few unplanned changes of tense when, once again in my right, non-stoned mind, I got on to the editing stage. But I finished the story and it's good. I took some risks with language that I might not have had I not been quite so relaxed. All right, it took about twice as long as it should have to finish, but I got it done, damn it!

I also discovered that I had a finished story that fit the guidelines for an anthology I'd forgotten about (oops! it got lost in the holiday rush!) so that's packed up and ready to go. With luck, they'll be understanding that it has a January 2 postmark instead of January 1. If not... *shrugs* I'm out a bit of postage. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home