Sunday, July 16, 2006

In other news...

More sales--to Rachel Kramer Bussel's He's on Top and She's on Top anthologies (two stories in the latter, because there were a few holes and an idea bit me last minute.)

Speaking of ideas biting you, I was doing some reading about early medieval Arabic poetry for a completely unrelated-to-writing project. (I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval re-creation group, and I have a special interest in the time period when Spain was Islamic. This led to an interest in that culture's art and poetry, and from there to offering to teach a class on Arabic poetry.) So, right before I feel asleep, I read something about how, before the rise of Islam, poetry and soothsaying were closely linked--so closely that poetry was called "lawful magic"--and poets were supposed to have a special connection with the djinn.

And then I went to bed and dreamed a plot. Sexy male djinni (despite I Dream of Jeannie, most of the djinn in Arabic tales are males). Young grad student who's working on a thesis on preIslamic poetry and the folklore of magic, unaware that it's all true--and she's a descendent of a line of goodly sorcerer poets and has the power herself. Bad Guys who want to control the djinn for political gain.

Can you say "sexy paranormal"? I thought you could! Sure, many details remain to be worked out, but that's more of a plot than I often have when I start writing.

I woke up and started writing. 6,000 words later I stopped for dinner.

I've had interruptions since then, but it's still blazing along nicely. We'll see what happens.

And now, to go do something dreadfully mundane, such as take a shower and throw in some laundry.

7 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny--about six months ago I critiqued the beginning of a (properly male) djinn erotica!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

Hmm, that means I need to get cracking on mine! It's not the only one out there! (Of course it's not. How much vamp-erotica is out there?)

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean Making Master Right is finished? When do I get to read it?!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

*laughs
Making Master Right is nowhere near finished. I'd just meant to write down a few notes for the djinni and it refused to let go and wait for me to be ready for it. So I'm bouncing between the two of them and short stories. Maybe it'll help me break through the stubborn place I've reached in MMR, where I need to get everyone from point B to oh, point E and the temptation is strong to write "New Chapter. Three months later, Jack and Serena had fallen into a comfortable relationship" and THEN throw the problems at them.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But don't you have a deadline to get Making Master Right to an editor who requested it?

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

No. An editor had asked for a partial and synopsis, back in April, and got it about 2 weeks later (after we'd gutted and rebuilt the synopsis--remember that pain?). No word yet, of course. Still in progress, but quite deadline-free at the moment.

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. Didn't know you'd sent the partial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home