Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Anniversaries, ocean, sociability, sinuses

Otherwise known as a series of random topics!

Sunday was our elected anniversary. Seven years ago we were married on Midsummer, and since then, we celebrate our anniversary whenever Midsummer falls.

The weather here in New England has been remarkably odd this season, and the first day of summer was no exception. Saturday was quite pleasant, but Sunday was cool and rainy, with fierce winds. Knowing this was coming, we decided not to spend the entire weekend in Maine, which has become an anniversary habit. Now, yesterday would have been a more reasonable day to hit the beach, but our younger niece (Himself's brother's daughter) just graduated from high school and we needed to stop in at her graduation party. This was a surprisingly pleasant experience--Bro-in-Law's a dear, his wife and I have finally gotten comfortable with each other, their friends are nice enough, and the socially lubricating adult beverages flowed copiously for those of us who are adults. Anyway, the party was pleasant. We'd guessed it would be relatively late when we left, so we opted to go to our friends in New Hampshire for their Midsummer Bardic party rather than head to Maine.

We saw folks, we drank yummy things, we chatted, and I even sang. (Poorly, but I did it.) Fun was had by all.

And today we headed to the ocean.

Oh, it was wild. Roaring waves and driving wind and rain that, while it wasn't heavy, was sideways, and it made me squeal with delight. I'm no sailor and wouldn't like to be on a boat in such weather...and yet she wants me to be. Or wants me to throw off my skin, put on my selkie shape, and come play. (In any case, we walked, and I drew energy, and then we ate lunch and walked some more.

And then something very odd happened. Maybe the air pressure changed dramatically. Maybe we were both so underslept we were imagining things. Or maybe whatever was making me feel so fey warned us of ....something. But we both got a very strong time to go feeling and we did. Maybe it was just weather sensitivity, because the rain turned from light to insane on the drive home.

And the rest of the day...is none of your business, darlings. It was our anniversary, after all. Let's just say it's been fine and lovely.

Unfortunately, all that romantic walking in the rain finished doing in my already embattled sinuses. Yesterday was...not pleasant. Ever reviewed final line edits slightly dizzy, feverish, and with a raging headache? Don't, if you can help it! Today, which is equally cool and gray, I'm functioning by sheer will because I don't have paid time off at the day job. Otherwise, I'd be noodling on Foxes' Den and napping, and probably more of the latter. I may yet get into work and decide the money isn't worth the suffering. Something about the lighting there is particularly foul with a bad headache.

1 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Grilled Cheese Recipes said...

Thhis was a lovely blog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home